Thursday, February 17, 2011

London - Day 3



January 22:  Today we were on our own.  Our hotel keeper pointed us in the right direction to catch the underground to the British Museum.  It was a good walk to the underground station and a good walk to the museum after that.  The underground is really underground.  It took the longest escalator I’ve ever seen to get us down there.  There were stairs, but the sign counseled not to take them as there were over 70.  We saw the Egyptian exhibit first.  Then we went through the Iran, Turkey, ancient America exhibits.  We had lunch in a big area on the first floor.  You buy your food cafeteria style and then hunt for a place to eat it.  There are more people than tables so we shared again.  It was fun.  We met some people who were on the Bible Tour.  I found out that the Museum offers specialty tours.  The Bible Tour takes you to many of the artifacts that they have that are mentioned in the Bible.  I would love to do that.  Who knew?
We had a big adventure today.  Going back to the hotel on the underground from the British Museum, we found the right train.  Wayne was holding my hand.  He got on and the doors closed right on my arm.  I let go, pulled my arm out and he went.  The next train was right behind.  I caught up with him at our designated stop.  It really scared me.  I thought the train might drag me and since there is only 6” clearance in the tunnel, I knew I would be smashed, squashed and otherwise dead.  Wayne was frantic trying to get the door to open, but all he could do was wave back at me.  We both arrived at the right station and I had a small bruise on my arm but was grateful to be alive!  We had dinner at a steak house about two blocks from the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment